URBAN NATURE- CENTRAL PARK
Central Park is located in the neighborhood Ruzafa in Valencia, it's behind la "Estación del Norte". It was inaugurated at the end of 2018 and designed by the American landscape architect Kathryn Gustafson.
In central park nature, water and light make the perfect match. Due to its botanical areas, the several fountains and the magnific sunny weather. What more there are building
gs that manifest the historical industrial design and ar
architecture of Valencia in 1910.
The bench that I have chosen is in the middle of the park, as a result, there is a big panoramic view. (p2.0)
- Looking to the east you can see a platform with steel mesh that leads a path, their people pass walking or running(p2.1). And behind it, there is a big esplanade with a peculiar wall that has curves in order to plant the plants (p2.2). In there, activities like climbing are available due to a climbing wall.
- Looking at the back (west) there is a simple building that inside has a motor to control the water for the fountains.
- Surrounding the bench are many different types of trees and flowers.
- Other things you can see from the park: in the park, there are three modernist industrial buildings at the entrance that represent the industrial time in Valencia during the 1910s. They are made of bricks and have black metal windows. Designed by Demetrio Ribes.
- Why did you choose this place?
I chose this place because of its magical peace, due to nature. But at the same time, you are in one of the most metropolitan areas of Valencia, Ruzafa.
- What makes you comfortable?
Finding a place to sit, walk or even practice a sport disconnecting from the city, while contemplating the architecture and design adapted to nature, makes you feel balanced and relieved.
- Do you think you'd feel the same way in another place right now?
Living in a city and going to university don't usually lead free time to be in touch with direct nature, so being in the central park has its own uniqueness and particularity.
- Do you think that the conditions of this space influence its occupants? How?
Definitely, it has a change in people's behavior. People go there to relax and escape from the overwhelming city. Due to its variety of nature and minimal designs.
- Would you change anything?
Central Park is exceptional but if I had to change something it would it's a short distance to the railway station and the noise that it creates.
All photos were taken by Candela Gutiérrez Molió